Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Original Wild Ones Motorcycle Club

Alright, I've been reading again which is something I do from time to time. Sometimes more than usual in my quest I'll get on one of these kicks that can't be shook and scour the book store for something motorcycle related. All the motorcycle magazines out there are getting to glossy and ad laden with to much content on mundane things. So much of the excitement of motorcycles in these rags is getting lost in the corporate quest for gloss and money making ads, like those commercials that keep popping up on the bottom of the television screen during the show your trying to watch, that just ruins the whole getting into it mode for me. I despise those pop up ads so I don't watch much television anymore just like all those ads in magazines along side a good write pulls my eye from what I want to read, then there is the searching through the magazine trying to find the rest of the doggone article. It just doesn't flow well that well anymore.
So I went out the other day in search of a good read - other than Louis L'Amour books that never steer me wrong - and found this one; "The Original Wild Ones" tales of the Boozefighters motorcycle club. If you or anyone you know is into motorcycles or know someone who is thinking about getting into motorcycles then this is a must read. These are the fellows who started this whole thing as we know it today. The book is very tough to put down once you have opened the pages to history of real men, and women like Dago, you will see what true brotherhood is all about. From stories told of the times from the originals themselves this book will transfer you back to a time before mandated helmet and exhaust level laws. If you want a fantastic understanding of the beginnings of Biker Clubs and a trek back to the past which leads you all the way to the present then you have to pick up a copy of this book. The way it reads just puts you right there in the thick of things so much so that you can smell the exhaust, stale beer and musty clothes stained and soaked with dirt and sweat from racing. It's like your sitting right there in the big A at the bar hearing all the clinking sounds of beer bottles with laughing and yarn spinning from the voices bouncing all around.
This book is fantabulous and needs to be read, passed around, shared and discussed. As I said, if you are in to motorcycles in any form you have to read this book.

There will be a test afterwards. If you don't read this book then you get an F in motorcycling. The only way to redeem yourself is to walk down the street in Hollister drinking from a douchbag.

7 comments:

mq01 said...

i'll walk hollister for ya but not drinking from that, ewww. haha sorry wooley couldnt resist. but, i WILL be reading this book, you've made it sound excellent. its sooooo hard to find real/good stuff anymore, just as you said. thanks wooley.

WooleyBugger said...

mq01, you won't be disappointed with it, in fact you'll love it.

Big Daddy said...

In my library are several books about MC's and such
This is high among my favorites.
I make it a must read for those who tend to forget..it's about the Bikes, brotherhood and the camraderie.

Kathleen Jennette said...

Agree. This book has been around for some time. I read it a long time ago and could read it again. It is a staple for the biker library.

Nancy Frye-Swope said...

I somehow missed this book, but now must add it to my library. I'm writing a fiction novel right now called "Ride the Warrior's Fury" - about an outlaw MC called the Devil's Deacons. I trace the club from it's inception right after WWII thru the 80s. It's primarily set in Long Beach, CA, but explores the reasons why so many war veterans are drawn to the MC lifestyle, so there are many scenes from WWI, Korea & Viet Nam. I'd be honored if you'd check it out at http://www.retiredbikerhousewife.com

Nancy Frye-Swope said...

Sorry - huge typo: I meant WWII, definitely NOT WWI.

IHG said...

That's one of my favorite reads! It's good to learn everything you can about the culture that you live in.