Monday, June 15, 2009

Son Learning Guitar

I got my son a guitar years ago but until just recently he's now trying to learn to play it. I've showed him just a little and he wants to do the rest on his own for now. You know, sit in his room to play when nobody is around to hear the mistakes. When your trying to learn or practice others can get fed up with you trying the same notes over and over until you get it right. That's the nature of the beast. But once you get those chords and notes and a few songs under your guitar strap, well, then it's time to move on to your own style. Simply following what everyone else is doing just makes you another them. What you really ought to be striving for is something new and different. Perhaps a mix of one guitarist melled in with the style of another. Your own sound and not someone else's. Otherwise you'll never be a stand out only another stand up. Forget about looking cool just learn all you can and create your own way and IT will be cool and different. Then everyone will be trying to emulate YOU.

5 comments:

Lady R (Di) said...

Great advice Dad! One of these days, hopefully you'll be standing at the door trying to get a peek of your famous son during one of his big concerts.

For your son... Dream big!

WooleyBugger said...

Thanks Lady,

Standing at the door would be pretty cool 'eh. All the people hollering out his name and girls digging his style. Yep, that'd be pretty darn fine.
My biggest playing would have to be at Georgia Tech for a New Years Eve party back in 1984. I was the Bass player. That was fun and all the free beer for the band. We were cheap weren't we?

Lady R (Di) said...

LOL! Free beer for the band just makes for a great show and some guaranteed encores! Woo Hoo!

Being a Bass player, I'm sure you had a large following of groupies, heh? ;)

Ann said...

Sage words for your son...I hope he takes them to heart.

WooleyBugger said...

Lady,
Ummm, yes perhaps a few. My Mom and Pop loved telling my son about girls sneaking in my window at all hours when I was a teenager.It'll be fun telling his kids about his youthfull antics.

Howdy Ann

Thanks for dropping by. I don't know if he will now but perhaps he'll remember it in a few years. I'm amazed at things he remembers that I've told him when I thought he wasn't paying attention.