Friday, July 10, 2009

Saddlebags Part Three

Well looks like I might finally be very near the painting stage of the Saddlebag plug mold. This has been taking longer than expected but it goes that way trying to get it as close to perfect as possible. Tired of going over and over the surface again I resorted to some heavy primer which goes on much thicker then the regular primer I was using. This heavier primer surfacer fills in all the smaller pits and voids so there is less sanding and re-priming to fix these voids.
The paint should fill in many of the little surface imperfections, then sand with 400 and 600 grit paper then several coats of parting release wax should, mind you I say should, take care of any minute imperfections left.

I have re sanded the entire saddlebag and lid, shot on some more light primer to a couple of places I just wasn't happy with today. As I type theses parts are drying outside because I want the primer cured all the way through before my final sanding of the surface. If I can just force myself to quit looking so hard at these parts to move to painting.
The painter has asked what color I want them done in and I said it won't really matter because this is the plug for the mold. He says he has white, black, john Deere green, as well as yellow left over from other jobs so the paint won't cost anything. I would prefer the white but again said it won't matter. He said he has some hot pink too if it won't matter. Um mm, I gotta draw the line somewhere.

2 comments:

Lady R (Di) said...

Hmmmm... hot pink bags???

First time you get a new scratch... that hot pink might show through.

Better draw that line. ;}

WooleyBugger said...

Actually it won't matter what color it is for this part of the project. This is the part that I make the mold from that is used to make the final bags. Confuses isn't it. :>)