Friday, August 06, 2010

Strange Feeling I had

I was reading my book moments ago and I came upon this paragraph:

"Up to a point a mans life is shaped by environment, heredity, and movements and changes in the world about him; then there comes a time it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds."

I've had news this week,some good, some bad, some bitter sweet, and then this paragraph, which I had to read over several times, comes up in the book. I paused and thought about it then re-read it several more times. I had to go outside to smoke and stepped down from the porch to the yard I had been mowing earlier in the evening. Literally strange was that of a sudden I felt very small almost as if I was shrinking. Weird isn't it. I felt three feet tall standing there like I was just a little boy. It was powerful in that in the whole scheme of things, I guess, how trivial some things in my life are.
This book is an eye opener in many respects and in it I see the beginnings of the biker. How they came to be, what they were originally about, what they were seeking in life. Odd though is that this book is not about bikers at all but it explains the workings of such clubs; the whys and for what's of the life. It is a more powerful book then it is meant to be as it is a story. But I think the author was writing it with deeper meaning then most would first read. You have to truly read it to see the deeper part of it.

I'll post the name of the book here later, but I wonder if anyone without googling might know the book.
Title here: (The Walking Drum, By Louis L'Amour ) Though the story is fictional the places and descriptions of life is real. It is a book full of history we never learned in school. I'll read it again soon and see what I missed. I made lots of notes to research and this book is a wealth of information.

2 comments:

Lady R (Di) said...

Can't come up with the title, but to me, if a book stays with you and makes you rethink and churn over and over, it's contents... it's a good book.

I'll just have to wait for the unveiling. ;]

WooleyBugger said...

Hey Lady, guess your the only well read person around. If it's not a Harley repair manual there is no interest. LMFAO
Just kidding of course.
Anyway, The book name is in the (.....) on bottom of blog now.