Saturday, November 27, 2010

Kohler 16.5 Carburetor Cleaning
Part 3

(Click on pictures for close-up inspection)


Here is a shot of the Ultrasonic machine.




Here we have the float needle and pin in stainless bowl for small parts, carb to the right.



Unit in action. Parts are submerged in the solution and bubbling away grime.



Carburetor after cleaning for 45 minutes in sonic machine. Fuel solenoid cleaned in sonic to.



Another shot of finished carburetor ready to re-install on engine. Even wires look brand new.



After letting machine work it's full time (45 minutes) you can see how clean it comes out. Not only is the outside clean the inside and all the small orifices are clean as well. I did neglect to get a good finished picture of the float needle and pin but they came out looking brand new. No damage to the rubber needle end what-so-ever. Using the Sonic machine saved me $143 dollars for a new carburetor.

After re-installing the carburetor on the engine it fired right up with hardly a full turn of the starter, I mean it was boom, right there as it did when purchased new. This garden tractor has not started that fast and easy in years. I was delightfully surprised at how easy and quick it started up the engine with little effort. Very little draw from the battery at all which will also prolong not only the battery but the starter too. Not a single penny was spent on any rebuild parts, the mounting gaskets & rubber pieces were all undamaged. The only parts removed were the solenoid; float bowl, float needle and pin. No need for a complete tear down as the Sonic Machine really gets in there. Try that with soaking in chemical solvents or boiling in water and vinegar.

The solution I use also inhibits rust on the steel parts and I've used it to clean up my black powder .44 revolver barrel that I am currently restoring. I can clean engine parts for rebuild better than cleaning the old fashioned way. You should see how an old piston and valves clean up. In the future I will be getting a larger unit to restore the finish and clean motorcycle engine cases especially for antque units where bead blasting and other means could destroy the original look and finish of the cases. Although I have access to a machine for cleaning engine cases; cylinders and heads now, I wish to purchase my own.
Now I have to work on the deck. I think one of the blade pulleys has frozen up from a year of non use. But that is another job.

3 comments:

Billy Jones said...

That is awesome!

WooleyBugger said...

If you click on the November 2010 archives you can see how nasty it was to begin with in Part 1 and 2 of the process.

swflhome listings said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.