Friday, July 29, 2005

I got the Job at Honda and will start at the plant on Wednesday next week.
I had told my boss that I was looking for another job on July the 11th. On Thursday of this week I informed him that I did get the job and wanted to give him notice. But he got pissed and told me that Friday was my last day and don't bother coming in next week. So I packed up all my stuff and turned in my keys and uniforms, my cell-phone and anything else that I had and took it in today. He probably only spoke twenty words to me all day and tried to avoid me at all cost. I just can't believe that this person with whom I worked with for so many years could get so icy cold and wouldn't even come out of his office when it was time for me to leave.

So I went in and told him thanks for all the years and hoped everything went well with him. Then I reached out my hand to shake his and he didn't even look me in the face but briefly. When I grabbed up my belongings and micro-wave and things and struggled to turn the doorknob with my hands full, he didn't even get up to help with the door. Neither did his new guy, who just sat there with a smirk on his face.

It sucked, that this man who is younger than me and I helped to build his business could be so cold. I mean, I remember when he found out his new wife was pregnant and he told me he wasn't ready and didn't know how to deal with having a kid. He was angry and scared at the same time. He said he would never love that child and I told him that yes he would. He said no and I told him that when he held her and saw her for the first time that he would and not to worry. He'd do just fine.
I held his child when she was newborn and I filmed her at plays and things when she was growing up. He would talk to me at times when his marriage was on the rocks and I helped him through it. When he was out of town and his wife was scared to be alone, I had friends on the Police Department keep an eye on her house. He had to have chemo for a brain tumor and I was there for him when he needed to talk. We were more than just co-workers but friends I thought as well.

I worked my butt off for that place and helped to build it but after it was all said and done, they treated me like dirt. All I have to show for it is twelve wasted years .................. A jacket and hat we got one year for Christmas.

Companies want employee loyalty but they don't give anything back anymore.

A simple "Thanks for all your hard work" would have been fine.
I feel sorry for my fellow worker that I left there and formed a friendship with all these years. They had already started treating him like an idiot too when it started with me and now he's there by himself. After all these years ,we both all of a sudden became idiots when in company newsletters for years, they said how they had the best crew. Customers even commented to them on how we did our jobs. Many of them gave us a little something at Christmas for their appreciation.

I don't know ........... I just don't get it.

Well, its over and done and its time for better things. Honda may not be it, I hope it is, but I have been told that if it doesn't work out there, if its not want I want to do, a few other places would be glad to have me.
They know how I do my job.

No comments: